About The Secretariat
The Ozone Secretariat is the Secretariat for the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer and for the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
Based at the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) offices in Nairobi (Kenya), the Secretariat functions in accordance with Article 7 of the Vienna Convention and Article 12 of the Montreal Protocol.
The main duties of the Secretariat include:
- Arranging for and servicing the Conferences of the Parties to the Vienna Convention, Meetings of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol, related Working Groups and Committees, the Bureaux, and the Assessment Panels;
- arranging for the implementation of decisions resulting from these meetings;
- monitoring the implementation of the Convention and the Protocol and reporting to the meetings of the Parties and to the Implementation Committee of the Montreal Protocol’s ;
- representing the Convention and the Protocol in relevant international and regional meetings;
- receiving, analyzing, and providing to the Parties data and information from the Parties on the production and consumption of ozone depleting substances (ODSs); and
- providing information to governments, international organizations and individuals on various aspects of the protection of the ozone layer.