Decision XV/51: Institutional strengthening assistance to countries with economies in transition
The Fifteenth Meeting of the Parties decided in Dec. XV/51:
- To note with appreciation the assistance that the Global Environment Facility has provided to date to countries with economies in transition;
- To note also with appreciation that the Council of the Global Environment Facility has earmarked 0 million to assist countries with economies in transition phase out methyl bromide and HCFCs;
- To note that, while such assistance has been successful in furthering ODS phase-out, continued institutional strengthening assistance is necessary to ensure that such progress is sustained and that the Parties continue to comply with their reporting obligations;
- To note the work under way in the Council of the Global Environment Facility to develop a major capacity-building initiative across all its focal areas;
- To urge those countries with economies in transition that are experiencing difficulty in meeting their obligations under the Protocol to consider working with the implementing agencies to seek assistance for institutional strengthening from the Global Environment Facility;
- To request the Global Environment Facility to consider favourably such applications for assistance, in accordance with its criteria for its capacity-building.