Decision XI/19: Assessment of new substances
The Eleventh Meeting of the Parties decided in Dec. XI/19:
- To recall that decision X/8 requested Parties that, should new substances be developed and marketed which, following application of decision IX/24, are agreed by the Parties to pose a significant threat to the ozone layer, appropriate steps are taken under the Montreal Protocol to ensure their control and phase-out;
- To note that many new chemicals are brought into the market by the chemical industry so that criteria for assessing the potential ODP of these chemicals will be useful;
- To request the Scientific Assessment Panel and the Technology and Economic Assessment Panel:
- To develop criteria to assess the potential ODP of new chemicals;
- To develop a guidance paper on mechanisms to facilitate public-private sector cooperation in the evaluation of the potential ODP of new chemicals in a manner that satisfies the criteria to be set by the Panels;
- To request the Panels to report back to the Thirteenth Meeting of the Parties.