Decision XV/42: Non-compliance with the Montreal Protocol by Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
The Fifteenth Meeting of the Parties decided in Dec. XV/42:
- To note that, in accordance with decision XIV/24 of the Fourteenth Meeting of the Parties, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines was requested to submit to the Implementation Committee a plan of action with time-specific benchmarks to ensure a prompt return to compliance;
- To note also that the baseline of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines for Annex A, group I substances is 1.77 ODP-tonnes. It reported consumption of 6.04, 6.86 and 6.02 ODP-tonnes of Annex A, group I substances in 2000, 2001 and 2002 respectively, and consumption of 9 ODP-tonnes of Annex A, group I substances for the consumption freeze control period of 1 July 2000 to 30 June 2001. It has failed to report data for CFC consumption for the control period of 1 July 2001 to 31 December 2002. As a consequence, for the period 2000-2002, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines was in non-compliance with its obligations under Article 2A of the Montreal Protocol;
- To note with regret that Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has not fulfilled the requirements of decision XIV/24 and to request that it should submit to the Implementation Committee, as a matter of urgency, for consideration at its next meeting, a plan of action with time-specific benchmarks in order for the Committee to monitor its progress towards compliance;
- To stress to the Government of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines its obligations under the Montreal Protocol to phase out the consumption of ozone-depleting substances, and the accompanying need for it to establish and maintain an effective governmental policy and institutional framework for the purposes of implementing and monitoring the national phase-out strategy;
- To monitor closely the progress of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines with regard to the phase-out of CFCs. To the degree that Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is working towards and meeting the specific Protocol control measures, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines should continue to be treated in the same manner as a Party in good standing. In that regard, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines should continue to receive international assistance to enable it to meet those commitments in accordance with item A of the indicative list of measures that may be taken by a Meeting of the Parties in respect of non-compliance. Through the present decision, however, the Parties caution Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, in accordance with item B of the indicative list of measures, that in the event that it fails to return to compliance in a timely manner the Parties will consider measures consistent with item C of the indicative list of measures. Those measures may include the possibility of actions available under Article 4, such as ensuring that the supply of CFCs (that is, the subject of non-compliance) is ceased and that exporting Parties are not contributing to a continuing situation of non-compliance.