What is the Ozone Secretariat doing?
Key Figures: Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Number of personnel
Total GHG emissions, tCO2eq
Air travel as a % of total emissions
Per capita GHG emissions, tCO2eq/person
Carbon Neutrality Timeline
Greening the Blue Report 2021 reveals impacts of COVID-19 on UN, and Ozone Secretariat’s, environmental footprint
Greening the Blue Report 2021 - The UN system’s environmental footprint and efforts to reduce it, is the first edition to reveal impacts on the UN system’s environmental footprint due to COVID-19. The annual report provides UN system-wide data on the environmental impact areas and management functions identified in the Strategy for Sustainability Management in the United Nations System 2020-2030, Phase I: Environmental Sustainability in the Area of Management.
Greenhouse gas emissions and offsetting
With significant worldwide travel restrictions and large portions of UN personnel working from home, the UN system generated approximately 25 per cent fewer GHG emissions than in 2019. The steep reduction in GHG emissions reflects the sudden and dramatic adaptations in operations that had to be made throughout 2020, as a result of the global COVID-19 pandemic.
For more information on the methodologies and data collection used, and for the full Greening the Blue Report 2021 please visit the Greening the Blue website.
Green travel and event tips
Did you know that if you…
Attendees are faced with a multitude of choices when participating at an event. As these examples illustrate, small actions can really add-up!
While the Ozone Secretariat is already offsetting the carbon impact of all participants from its meetings, you may be able to consider other ways to reduce your footprint. Action is not required but encouraged where possible. Every little helps and adopting new habits will build up our collective efforts over time. Each action, even just one, makes a difference!
- Replace short flights with rail trips, if possible.
- opt for direct routes that avoid additional emissions associated with multiple take-offs and landings.
- Voluntarily lower your flight class to avoid the higher-footprint of business class trips.
- Shift meals to plant-based alternatives where possible.
- Use public transit or share transport for local trips.
- Seek out accommodation that has a green guest programme or have earned an eco-certification.
- Stay at accommodation that is within walking distance of event venues.
- Participate in your hotel's linen-reuse programme.
- Bring a refillable tumbler for beverages to use at our plastic-free hydration stations.
- Download any electronic documents for use onsite. Print outs will not be provided, but device charging is available.
- Participate in the venue's recycling programme.
For more handy hints and tips to reduce your travel carbon footprint see the below links: