Article 1: Definitions
For the purposes of this Protocol:
1. “Convention” means the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer, adopted on 22 March 1985.
2. “Parties” means, unless the text otherwise indicates, Parties to this Protocol.
3. “Secretariat” means the Secretariat of the Convention.
4. “Controlled substance” means a substance listed in Annex A to this Protocol, whether existing alone or in a mixture. It excludes, however, any such substance or mixture which is in a manufactured product other than a container used for the transportation or storage of the substance listed.
5. “Production” means the amount of controlled substances produced, minus the amount destroyed by technologies to be approved by the Parties.
6. “Consumption” means production plus imports minus exports of controlled substances.
7. “Calculated levels” of production, imports, exports and consumption means levels determined in accordance with Article 3.
8. “Industrial rationalization” means the transfer of all or a portion of the calculated level of production of one Party to another, for the purpose of achieving economic efficiencies or responding to anticipated shortfalls in supply as a result of plant closures.