Decision IV/23: Methyl bromide
The Fourth Meeting of the Parties decided in Dec. IV/23:
- to request the Scientific Assessment Panel and the Technology and Economic Assessment Panel to assess the following, in accordance with Article 6 of the Protocol, and to submit their combined report, through the Secretariat, by 30 November 1994 at the latest, to the Seventh Meeting of the Parties:
- abundance of methyl bromide in the atmosphere and the proportion of anthropogenic emissions within this abundance of methyl bromide and the ozone-depleting potential of methyl bromide;
- methodologies to control emissions into the atmosphere from the various current uses of methyl bromide and the technical and economic feasibility and the likely results of such controls;
- availability of chemical and non-chemical substitutes for the various current uses of methyl bromide; their cost-effectiveness; the incremental costs of such substitutes, technological and economic feasibility of substitution for various uses and the benefits to the protection of the ozone layer by such substitution, taking into account the particular social, economic, geographic and agricultural conditions of different regions and, specifically, the developing countries;
- to request the Open-ended Working Group of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol to consider this report and submit its recommendations to the Seventh Meeting of the Parties in 1995.