Article 7: Secretariat
- The functions of the secretariat shall be:
- To arrange for and service meetings provided for in articles 6, 8, 9 and 10;
- To prepare and transmit reports based upon information received in accordance with articles 4 and 5, as well as upon information derived from meetings of subsidiary bodies established under article 6;
- To perform the functions assigned to it by any protocol;
- To prepare reports on its activities carried out in implementation of its functions under this Convention and present them to the Conference of the Parties;
- To ensure the necessary co-ordination with other relevant international bodies, and in particular to enter into such administrative and contractual arrangements as may be required for the effective discharge of its functions;
- To perform such other functions as may be determined by the Conference of the Parties.
- The secretariat functions will be carried out on an interim basis by the United Nations Environment Programme until the completion of the first ordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties held pursuant to article 6. At its first ordinary meeting, the Conference of the Parties shall designate the secretariat from amongst those existing competent international organizations which have signified their willingness to carry out the secretariat functions under this Convention.