Decision XXVII/18 : Financial report and budget of the trust fund of the Montreal Protocol
Recalling decision XXVI/21 on the financial report and budget for the Montreal Protocol,
Taking note of the financial report on the Trust Fund for the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer for the year ended 31 December 2014,
Recognizing that voluntary contributions are an essential complement for the effective implementation of the Montreal Protocol,
Noting with concern that the scheduling of unbudgeted meetings may have serious implications for the fund balance,
Welcoming the continued efficient management by the Secretariat of the finances of the Trust Fund for the Montreal Protocol,
- To approve the revised 2015 budget in the amount of $6,363,557 and the 2016 budget of $6,772,162, as set out in annex I to the report of the Twenty-Seventh Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol;
- To authorize the Secretariat to draw down the amounts of $2,086,624 in 2015 and $2,495,229 in 2016;
- To approve, as a consequence of the drawdowns referred to in paragraph 2 of the present decision, total contributions to be paid by the parties of $4,276,933 for 2015 and $4,276,933 for 2016, as set out in annex II to the report of the Twenty-Seventh Meeting of the Parties and to note the ongoing unsustainable depletion of the fund balance and the implications for further drawdowns after 2016;
- To request the Secretariat to prepare scenarios for the trust fund budget, its fund balance and reserves as well as the level of contributions that may need to be paid by the parties in the near future to ensure a fund balance adequate to allow the continued work of the Montreal Protocol and present them in time for consideration by the Open-ended Working Group at its the thirty-seventh meeting;
- That the contributions of individual parties for 2016 shall be listed in annex II to the report of the Twenty-Seventh Meeting of the Parties;
- To reaffirm a working capital reserve at a level of 15 per cent of the annual budget to be used to meet the final expenditures under the Trust Fund;
- To note with concern that a number of parties have not paid their contribution for prior years and to urge those parties to pay both their outstanding contributions and their future contributions promptly and in full, particularly given that the fund balance has been significantly depleted;
- To request the Executive Secretary and to invite the President of the Meeting of the Parties to enter into discussions with any party whose contributions are outstanding for two or more years with a view to finding a way forward and to request the Executive Secretary to report to the Twenty-eighth Meeting of the Parties on the outcome of the discussions;
- To further consider how to address outstanding contributions to the trust fund at its next meeting and to request the Executive Secretary to continue to publish and regularly update information on the status of contributions to the Protocol's trust funds;
- To request the Secretariat to provide, within the budget approved for 2016, administrative and organizational support to the Technical and Economic Assessment Panel;
- Also to request the Secretariat to ensure the full utilization of programme support costs available to it in 2016 and later years and where possible to offset those costs against the administrative components of the approved budget;
- To encourage parties to provide additional voluntary contributions to the trust fund entitled “Support of the Activities of the Ozone Secretariat” for any unbudgeted meetings;
- In addition to the funds allocated from the core budget to cover the travel costs of representatives of parties operating under paragraph 1 of Article 5, to encourage parties to contribute to the trust fund entitled “Support of the Activities of the Ozone Secretariat” with a view to ensuring the full and effective participation of parties operating under paragraph 1 of Article 5 in the Meeting of the Parties and the Open-ended Working Group;
- To request the Secretariat to indicate in future financial reports of the Trust Fund for the Montreal Protocol the amounts of cash on hand in the section entitled “Total reserves and fund balances” in addition to contributions that have not yet been received.
 UNEP/OzL.Pro.27/4/Add. 1.
 This reference to the thirty-seventh meeting of the Open-ended Working Group should be understood to refer to an appropriate meeting of the Open-ended Working Group in 2016.